Friday, April 07, 2006

Preparing for the Day of the Lord

My life revolves around Sunday. It seems that everything happens in preparation and reflection for the Lord's Day. I like that. I hope that if I am ever in a position where I am not preaching every Sunday my life will still revolve around Sunday. It is the day to gather with God's people to worship the One we all commonly love. What a joy!

Today is Friday, though. Fridays are spent in intense preparation for Sunday. This is the day where I try to put the meat on the skeleton of the sermon. It is also a day I try to spend praying often for the preparation of my own heart for corporate worship. And, I try to pray deeply for those that will join me on Sunday to worship our King.

How much time and thought do you spend in preparation for Sunday?

There are two ways to think about Sunday and they are related.

One is from Psalm 29. In this psalm we hear the psalmist talk about the fact that God is worthy of our worship. He is sovereign and holy. He is in control of the heavens and the earth. There is nothing that happens that He is not aware of and there are no surprises to Him. He is the Lord of the sunshine and the Lord of the storm. We are limited, but He is unlimited.

Because He is so worthy, we should realize how desperately we need Him. Psalm 84 teaches us this. There the psalmist says, "My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the Lord..." When was the last time you felt faint because you longed so deeply and urgently to be in the very presence of God? Oh, may we not be distracted away from seeing and longing for our sweet God.

I will glory in my Redeemer,
Who carries me on eagle's wings,
He crowns my life with lovingkindness,
His triumph song I'll ever sing...

Wherever you worship this Sunday, I pray that it will drip with the glory and joy of God!

No comments: