Tuesday, September 25, 2007

An Encouraging Outlook

A few days ago I took my two sons to one of the nicer golf courses in our area. Because the boys are five, I didn't start at this course but it where we ended up. Now, you must understand that these five year old boys already have their own golf clubs. These guys are pretty serious.

We played several holes and the sun was beginning to set so I began to struggle to see. On two holes I was in range of the green when I hit my approaching shot. Both times I lost the ball as my vision was confused by the contrast of the darkening horizon. After we drove all over the course to locate the balls the boys were hitting, we headed to the area around the green to see if we could find my ball. I had little hope as I am not a very good golfer, but I wanted to start looking somewhere around the green.

Both times, as soon as the cart stopped, the boys bounced off and ran as fast as they could to the pin because they were convinced that my ball must have landed in the hole since we didn't see it sitting on the green. Unfortunately, they didn't find my ball in the hole either time.

Yet, they certainly encouraged their Dad. It was rather humbling to know that they expected perfection from me. And, that they believed I can attain it.

I wish I was innocent like that. I wish that I assumed the best every time I saw something in life. I pray that God will give me a heart that "believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things" (1 Corinthians 13:7) because it was the love that these boys have for me that caused them believe the best about their Dad's efforts.

No comments: