Tuesday, August 25, 2009

True Religion is...

On Sunday morning we read from Isaiah 1:12-20. In the middle of this passage God calls His people to, "Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; ​cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; ​bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow’s cause." There are many meaningful calls to action in this passage, but I was (and still am) thinking about bringing justice to the fatherless.

As many of you know, our oldest boys, Maddox and Isaac, are adopted. They were born in Kazakhstan. Monica and I had the opportunity to bring them into our family when they were only six months old. Now they are seven years old and it seems that adoption process happened a lifetime ago. At times I forget that they are adopted. While that is good on one hand, I don't want to forget they were adopted.

The adoption of children is such a beautiful picture of what God has done for Christians through Christ. Paul makes the direct comparison in Ephesians 1. The love I have for my boys reminds me of the love God has for me.

Adoption is important and should be remembered by more than those who face infertility issues. It is something that all Christians should hold as a priority. I am thankful that there are many churches across our country that are bringing adoption to the forefront. There is now a conference called Together for Adoption that seeks to bring attention to adoption. I pray that God will lead many to care for the fatherless through adoption.

Of course, orphans are only one category of children that are fatherless. There are others that are fatherless. Some of them may even live on your street. How will you care for the fatherless this week?

No comments: